Thursday, November 6, 2008

My first post...

I have a five-page political theory take home exam due tomorrow that I have yet to start on and another two pages on my fat-tax research paper, but at this moment of procrastination I have found myself out of things to prolong responsible action. Isn't that the whole point of a blog anyway--to prolong doing something worthwhile?

Anyway, I just have a few things to say:

Firstly, to all of the annoying birkentock-wearing schmucks who sat in front of ADUC since August trying to register people to vote: Fuck you. After all that hard work sitting in the sun and sweating and finding the courage to ask complete strangers if they have already registered to vote and then guilting them into registering or assuming that everyone who fails to acknowledge your petty existence isn't registered, for all your efforts, Kentucky voter turn-out was relatively the same as it was four years ago. It must be demoralizing. But then again, it should have been expected. What is it that made you believe that someone who lacks the initiative to register has it in them to stand in line for an entire fifteen minutes to cast his or her ballot? Even more, why would you want that person to cast a ballot anyway? What is it that made you believe that someone lacking the initiative to register or stand in line for fifteen minutes would ever take the time to get informed about the issues? Everyone one of you is a jackass.

Secondly, I seriously hope that, as responsible Americans, we make president-elect Obama follow through on his MNF message to finally rid us of the BCS system.
On that note, I am predicting an Iowa upset over Penn State, so the BCS may not be a complete travesty when Florida plays an undefeated Texas Tech (they are that good) for the National Championship.

Thirdly, I paraphrase the great Woody Allen from Annie Hall, "I was raised an Orthodox Jew, but now I am a pessimist." I use this in relation to prop 8 and gay marriage. Please someone inform me the real differences between civil unions and marriage besides semantics. I mean, I can understand that homosexuals seeing not being allowed to marry as an attack on their lifestyle, but is it? So long as the tax-incentives and adoption, etc., (which currently it is not) are equal, who really gives a damn? From my shoes, the whole sanctity of marriage is a bunch of bullshit, anyways. And now I read that women are almost as likely to commit adultery as men. What the hell? As an outsider, I seriously hope that god's unconditional love is like that of my mother's love. Because if not, then I agree with those nuts in the free-speech area, the whole lot of us are going to hell in a hand-basket. Let the disillusioned who still believe marriage means something make it between a man and a women. It matters not to me.

Which brings me to my fourth and final issue--the nut-jobs in the free speech area. I do not know which is more alarming, the fact that I attend a school that is dumb enough to feed the religious wackos' self-righteous egos or if I attend a school with so little to do that people are willing to waste their entire days to feed the nut-job's self-righteous egos. I remember while I attended UK, I had the honor of meeting the "great" Henry Earl, on a number of occasions. Half the time, he was drunk out of his mind trying to get an easy buck to feed is demons. He would carry on like a nut and try to win your charity through James Brown impersonations. If you paid him any attention, it would only inflame his indignation. There were only a few wys to handle such a man, show kindness and genuine concern or ignore him. The only other approach was to give him a dollar and feed is insatiability or to become equally indignant and make an ass of yourself. Sadly, MSU students are doing the latter.

But on a side-note, there is substance to their rage, but modern views of christianity depend on a forgiving god other than the one described in the bible. Few of us are practicing christians, though, if you look back at point three, all of that is irrelevant.

I guess I have put my gov't paper off long enough to incite the genius that can only be achieved when one's back is against the wall...

1 comment:

alesiaann said...

Yes, I love you...politics aside :) ...with out conditions
There is much to be said about the "ole back against the wall" for motivation. Glad to hear it. Gods speed