Monday, November 10, 2008

The Gas Station: A Status Symbol

I was using the restroom in the Appco gas station when I was struck with a profound thought: "Why am I using a gas station bathroom? Even worse, the Appco bathroom?" Then it hit me, a truly profound thought: "Am I looking down my nose at Appco? Am I really considering whether or not I am too good for a gas station?"
In my defense, I have a really weak bladder and really had to pee.
But to answer my question, I was looking down my nose. Do people really choose gas stations based on some sort of value-judgement? I usually base my decision on the quality of coffee being served--Speedway or Circle K. But I was looking down at Appco.
It just looks dirty. The bathroom is dirty. The floors are dirty. They serve fatty pizza rolls for $1.39, presumably to lower incomes. The cars filling up--when there are cars filling up--are usually rusted and beaten-down.
I also enjoy trucker-gas stations (not Love's, it seems dirty too), but I never pass up a chance to go to a Pilot. They have a nice array of coffee, too; and, there is something to be said about a place that has gas, a buffett, cd's & dvd's, egg rolls, giant turkey legs, enchiladas, and a place to shower and sleep. There are few things as exciting as seeing a Pilot sign on a tired, late-night excursion.
It seems silly to think that people choose gas stations based on looks, but have you ever seen a Swifty gas station with backed up lines?

No comments: